In order to ensure safety online, it is important you make sure that the router and VPN connections are of high security. Let us first give a brief definition of what a router is and what VPN is so that you fully understand the reason why your security online is important and how it can be enhanced through use of routers and VPN
What is a router?
This is a networking device that helps to transfer data from one device to another. Basically, a router will direct traffic online. It is, therefore, important to ensure that you are using a safe network.
What is VPN?
VPN is networks connected together over a public network which is the internet. Virtual private network increases your security online. This helps to prevent identity theft, data breach in various forms and also stalking among other online crimes.
How to set up a VPN connection
There are two main ways through which you can set up a VPN connection. Let us look at ways through which you can set up VPN connection and how each method affects the connection to the internet;
- VPN via client
You may connect to VPN whether you are using Wi-fi or cable internet connection. Again, you only connect one device only. As such, for every device, a VPN connection must be set up. This is one of the disadvantages of this method. There is minimal work in setting up VPN via client since no software needs to be installed. Another advantage is that this option offers faster internet connections since it is direct with no additional software required.
- VPN connection via third party firmware
This will be possible if the router is flashed with the firmware. One main disadvantage is that some routers may not support this process hence you cannot set up this connection. Well, it is tedious to set up the software but the main advantage is that after set up, all devices that connect to the router are secured. As such, you do not have to set up a different connection for every device.
What makes VPN setup secure?
- Encryption; this is the most important thing to note about VPN connection. It will also determine the speed of your connection. That is why setting up VPN connection via client provides a faster internet connection. Encryption through VPN offers a guarantee that the data you send or receive online is secure.
- Processors; these include the computer, smartphones, and any other device you set up on VPN including smart TVS. Computers are better processors through a VPN than all other devices.
- Downloader; VPN offers security when downloading files or info online. There is no trace of your download history and as such any copyrights issues violated, you cannot be liable since it impossible to know how the content was downloaded and the culprit.
How to identify a good VPN
- Protocol; ensure that the most appropriate protocol is used depending on whether you are a corporate user or a personal user. Some of the common protocols for corporate users include IPSec and SSL.
- Logging; it is important you check out the logging policies of your service providers. Remember for the security of your data and all other online activities, you need to ensure that not even the service provider can log on to your network and store data. As such, it is a good idea to ensure that the service provider does not log data or any browsing history whatsoever.
- Anti-malware protection; a VPN connection is still vulnerable to viruses. It is, therefore, a good idea to ensure that the service provider has also incorporated the anti-malware safety precautions in order to avoid data loss due to malware.
- Corporate and exit locations; In some cases, you may want to get a VPN connection outside your locality depending on the regulations especially regarding data logs in your location. Basically, ensure that the VPN service provider has servers in various locations in order to enhance your security from local authorities.
- Mobile and other devices apps; you should be able to get the VPN service across all your devices including the mobile phone. There is no point of setting up VPN connection for every device. Good VPN service providers offer both desktop and mobile solutions.
- Price; this will be the ultimate determiner of what VPN connection to choose. There are two main types of VPN connections;
- A) Free VPN providers; they do not charge for the service. On the downside, such providers may log your data and browsing history so one should be extremely careful when using such a VPN. In addition, you will find that ads popping up in your browser are tailored according to your browsing history since they store such info and use it to push ads to your browser. In fact, such free VPNs have great features. But on the downside, your security and privacy may be breached.
- B) Subscription VPN providers; they are considered more secure since it is a service that is paid for. Do your research as well especially on logging of data. Such providers are considered safer and also offer more secure and privacy to online users. The subscription charge will differ from one service provider to another and depend on the traffic as well. A small research will enable you to choose the best service provider.
Tips for a better router –VPN connection
- Distance; ensure that the device you are using is not very far from the router. Electrical appliances may interfere with the connection to the router so one should ensure that they are not on the path connecting to the router
- Firewall; this is one of the main causes of a slow connection. In some cases, the firewall is installed on the router and the device. You should consider momentarily disabling the firewall to check on its impact on connection and this may help you know the next step to take in order to speed up connection.
- Frequency band; first let the service provider determine the type of router you have. This way in setting up, the right procedures is followed to improve its performance. Most of the new routers have a dual band and this speed up the connection.
- Request to send feature; it is important to know how this works and look for ways to ensure that users do not interfere with the connection. In cases where there are many users pinging, the data packets may interfere with connection and make it slow. For corporates or where there are many users online at the same time, the router configuration may be changed depending on your needs.
- Updates; it is good to allow automatic updates on your devices in order to ensure that both the router and VPN connection are working at optimal levels. It is also good to note and notify all users to avoid interrupting updates as this may interfere with the performance of the entire connection when updates are interfered with before completion.
- Channels; well the device you are using connects to the router via specific channels. If you can find a specific channel that is less busy, then the connection will be very fast. There are various apps that can help you find such channels online. The operating system you use may also have features to help you find such channels.
Well, these tips will help you find a service provider who sets up a VPN connection that ensures that your data and browsing history and your internet use generally remains private and secure. Through the tips given above, the router VPN connection can be speeded up.